HMS graduates have continued their education at the following schools:
The Alabama School of Fine Arts
Briarwood Christian School
Hoover High School
Indian Springs School
John Carroll High School
Oak Mountain High School
Spain Park High School
St. Andrews-Sewanee School
Vestavia HIlls High School
Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering
Alabama School of Math And Science
Spotlight on Alumna Leah Fox
Graduates of these programs have received acceptances and scholarships to:
Auburn University Honors College
Birmingham Southern College
UAB Honors College
UAB School of Medicine
Hunter College in NYC
Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts
Tulane University in New Orleans
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
New York University
The University of Alabama Honors College
The University of Oklahoma Honors College
The University of Alabama in Birmingham
University of Kentucky, Phd Program
The University of North Carolina in Asheville
University of Southern California
Louisiana State University
University of Georgia Foundation Fellowship Scholarship
Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Massachusetts
Texas A & M
University of Illinois
Florida State University
University of Florida
University of South Alabama Honors College
Yonsei University-Seoul, Korea
Kansai Gaidai University-Osaka, Japan
Universidad de Granada-Spain
The University of Georgia/Honors College
Trent Lott Leadership Institute-University of Mississippi
Recent comments from alumni regarding their experience at HMS:
“HMS allowed me to learn at my own pace, which really fostered my math skills and helped prepare me for ASFA in math/science. I was very satisfied with my time (2-7) at HMS"
"The time we got to spend running around in the woods for recess was very beneficial. I really have nothing bad to say about my time at HMS, wonderful place that fosters a want to learn. Keep up as much nature time as possible, not playgrounds but undeveloped woods, something about that was so much more special growing up than the playground….."
"I hope that if I ever have children they have the opportunity to experience the same Montessori experience as I did. HMS means the world to me, there’s not a negative memory associated with my time there"
"I felt like my academic foundation given at Hilltop helped my future learning experiences. I would have to loved to have stayed. I have always said that Hilltop allowed me to learn how I needed to learn, not how others thought I should."
"I am thankful for how Hilltop shaped my character as a lifelong learner and leader."
“The freedom of individuality was priceless and I am thankful that I had the opportunity to excel past my peers in certain areas and that our creativity and individuality was always being recognized."
"Spanish and math were particularly strong going into 9th grade."
"The teachers have always been amazing and the ones I had are still my favorite teachers of all time. I love the wide range of subjects we went over because when I went to public school not everyone had music class. P.E. and recess were extremely fun and I remember all the games my friends and I made up during it. Going to public school and just playing dodgeball did not nearly compare. My whole experience at Hilltop was so positive and it shaped me for who I am today."
"Montessori’s love of learning and critical thinking skills is by far, its greatest asset to a student who continues further, more advanced education. Teacher quality is Hilltop’s best asset."
Hilltop Alumni have received the following honors and achievements:
- A Fulbright Scholar, which is a highly competitive and highly coveted award for international study. 53 Fulbright scholars have won Nobel Prizes and 8 have won Pulitzer Prizes.
- A Jet Scholarship Winner (Japan Exchange and Teaching Program)-A competitive employment opportunity program!
- Valedictorian at Spain Park High School
- 6 National Merit Scholars, all receiving Presidential Scholarship offers for 4-year tuition and room/board and 1 National Merit Commended Student
- 4 Presidential Scholarship recipients to the University of Alabama Honors College (free tuition and fees all 4 years)
- 1 University of Alabama Senator of the SGA and 1 University of Alabama Vice President of Financial Affairs of the SGA
- One Peace Corp Member
- 2020 Robert Vance Award Honoree, University of AL
- 1 HOPE Scholarship recipient to Florida State University.
- 2nd place in the state of Florida for Speech and Debate at the high school level.
- Phi Beta Kappa scholar for Tulane University
- Jasons Mens Senior Honorary Society, University of AL
- Collegiate national speech and debate winner at the college level, persuasion and expository speeches
- Outstanding college senior in Aerospace Engineering at The University of Oklahoma
- Winner of the prestigious Astronaut Award, national STEM award given by the Aerospace Industry/Astronauts at NASA
- 1 Andy Abroms Memorial Scholar at Indian Springs School
- 1 High school leadership forum award recipient
- One STATE winner of the National Geographic Geography Bee, who represented all the students in Alabama in Washington DC in the national bee.
- 1 student elected Mayor for Indian Springs School student government association
- 1 Finalist in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, national competition
- 1 Finalist-National Junior Science and Humanities Symposium
- National Honor Society and National Junior Honor Society Members and Beta Club
- 6 students placed as 1st and 2nd place winners in the Alabama Law Day Essay Contest
- National Spanish Exam: 2 gold awards, 7 silver awards, two bronze, 3 honorable mentions (Levels I-VI); National French Exam, 3rd in the USA, Second in Alabama
- 1 Top Scholar at the University of Alabama Honors College and Semifinalist for the University Fellows program
- National Latin Exam: one Gold Award, Level V, Latin II Magma Cum Laude award
- Classical Latin Exam: one Silver Award, Level V
- Member-National Academic Championship Team, National Academic Championship winner
- Central Alabama Regional Science and Engineering Fair-6 first place winners in the junior division, 1 first place at the senior division, 3 Honorable Mentions, 1 special award
- DUKE TIP state recognition award winners
- Alabama Science and Engineering Fair-First Place in Medicine and Health Division, 2nd place Mathematics and Computer Science
- Junior Division, 1 2nd place in Engineering and one in Environmental Science.
- Alabama State Champion-National History Bee, individual award and team captain
- Alabama Junior Classical League Latin Scholar’s Bowl State Champion
- Gold Medal-Classical Literacy Exam
- Gold Medal-National Roman Civilization Exam
- Winner John Wallace Johnston History Award
- Winner Gage Prize for outstanding student in US History
- Winner Randolph Macon College Book Award in Classics
- Named John Frederick Oberlin Scholar/received merit scholarship/early admission to Oberlin College
- 5 students-Mu Alpha Theta, Mathematics Honor Society
- The University of Alabama Senator for College of Arts and Sciences
- The University of Alabama Vice President of Financial Affairs of SGA
- Kyser Miree Leadership Program, Gold-The Altamont School
- Winner-Bausch and Lomb Junior Class Science Award-outstanding student in the junior class
- Winner-Smith College Book Award
- Corona Laurea for Excellent Achievement on National Mythology Exam
- Five students selected to compete at the State level Geography Bee-National Geographic Society (1 additional who WON for the entire state!)
- First place winner in the Veterans of Foreign Wars Essay
- Carver-Gorgas Senior Science Award to outstanding senior
- 1 Gold Key, 5 Silver Key Awards in the Scholastic Art and Writing National Competition and 2 honorable mentions for writing portfolio and personal essay
- Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge (Birmingham area chapter)-Merit Certificate for Public Communications
- Birmingham Magazine Super Student Award
- Birmingham News Scholar Athlete of the Week
- Winner-Scholarship for Indian Springs School “Learning through Living” program-boarding scholarship
- Winner-Students with disabilities goalball championship team
- And numerous other awards in chess, the arts, sciences, academics and community leadership including Young Republicans, Young Democrat Clubs, student newspapers, robotics, SGA, horseback riding competitions, drama, voice, dance and karate.
- Montessori teacher in Thailand
- State Champion for age level in Science Fair